Ask the MSK Expert: Experiencing hip pain?


My hip is bothering me; when should I see an orthopedic surgeon?

Dr. Abraham says: “It is important to see an orthopedic surgeon when hip pain interferes with your sleep, decreases your activity level or affects your quality of life. A surgeon is your partner in the decision-making process and will help you decide the appropriate next step.

“I usually first recommend conservative treatment options to reduce pain, including anti-inflammatory medication, physical therapy, using a cane or walking stick for additional support, or injection therapy. The next step is achieving a healthy weight to lessen the stress exerted on your joints. A home exercise or physical therapy program can help keep you active while improving your strength.

“Once these conservative methods no longer help control the pain, you and your surgeon can discuss surgical options such as hip replacement. Together, you can determine and implement an appropriate treatment plan to restore a better quality of life and help you get back to the things you enjoy.”

Physician Spotlight
William D. Abraham, M.D., is a fellowship-trained joint replacement surgeon at Tri Rivers. He treats hip and knee arthritis and performs total knee replacements; arthroscopic knee surgery, including ACL reconstruction; total hip replacement; and injection therapy for arthritic conditions.

Dr. Abraham sees patients in our Cranberry/Mars and North Hills offices. To schedule an appointment with him, or any other Tri Rivers provider, please call 1-866-874-7483 or click here.